Question regarding freename and the future of SLD minting

This is where the pros play
Forum rules
You are invited to an honest and open discussion about Web3 domains.

Anyhow, to make this forum an attractive platform for everyone, we want to enable a pleasant discussion basis, which is why there are a few rules - as follows.

Any comments containing the following elements will be deleted without further notice:
1. Harassment, disrespect & incitement for violation of law
2. Posts without the slightest relation to forum topics & spam
3. Multiple registrations of members & duplicated content
We do everything we can to make visitors of this forum feel comfortable here.

And now have fun around Web3 domains!

Question regarding freename and the future of SLD minting

Postby jesse21 » Mon 9. Oct 2023, 19:27

Hello,

I am curious, why is freename not allowing external minting like other platforms/web3 domain naming services do?
I think freename is just shooting themselves in the foot by not adding this option to the mix.
Most if not all the other domain services offer external sld minting of some sort.
ETH being the most widely adopted and most looked over set of code for this mechanism.
And then we have the the winner in terms of whats offered to its users with a very smooth way to allow for minting on your own website
making it feel genuinely native to the registrar's own site... Decentraweb.
They actually have it setup as a copy and paste type of setup, easy as copy pasta over there
and your TLD is now on your own site offering SLD's. They also dont try and rape the TLD owner if they want to mint on the TLD they paid for like freename does.
Which is one of the reason why I cant get my TLD going over here. Too costly for anything other than an alphabet of letters for people who think they
want one but abandon it because its costly to them and to use if we try and discount it for them.
Theres a question in there some where below the griping, i promise....

When will they get in line and stop trying to get rich off of SLD's and allow those who purchased the TLD to do what they need to do externally?
it kind of takes away from the whole decentralization aspect dont you think?
soap box moment complete, if anyone even reads this.

-J21
Artist, Full Stack (Self-taught) dev,
founder of multiple platforms and protocols, all that jazz.
but im human and a realist. i bring honesty to the convo as above.
jesse21

by Advertising » Mon 9. Oct 2023, 19:27

Advertising

Re: Question regarding freename and the future of SLD mintin

Postby Albert Einstein » Mon 9. Oct 2023, 23:05

A lot of development is going on at Freename right now. If I understood it right, the possibility to switch blockchains after minting is planned. Also minting on Ethereum is in the making.

Anyhow, you raise some very interesting points here.
Freename is always very grateful for suggestions of improvement, which you can place here: https://tally.so/r/nrDBPR
They have developed a lot of community requests, so the chances are high that they will consider your suggestions, too. And Freename is always happy to receive advice from experts to explore new possibilities.
Albert Einstein

Return to Developer Area